Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Citizen Fake?

Feeling conscious that I was entering a restaurant alone, I felt so relieved to see that the patisserie was sectioned off. I headed straight in. It took me a while to decide on what to taste, as the prices were seriously inflated. The confections were tiny and weren't that pretty. I finally settled for the Mocha Mi Su. I think I loved the name more than the dessert itself...

Rich but still fluffy like tiramisu, smooth, creamy, with a hint of coffee/mocha. Just the right amount of chocolate but I was a bit unhappy with the creme fraiche... it tasted very dairy-ish. Not fresh. The dessert would have been perfect to share between two friends.

The counter lady did not seem happy and bubbly. If I worked at a Patisserie, I would be so energetic and bouncy. Another negative to Citizen Cake. Felt commercial/fake.

I do have to add, the 2nd time I went (the very next day with a boy), we ordered the Creme Brulee and Sorbet Trio. I have to say that the creme brulee was excellent! Served chilled, with a delicately blow-torched top layer, and densely packed creme meat. Succulent! I wanted all of it to myself, no sharing allowed! The sorbet's were delicious. Flavours we tried: stone fruit, asian pear, and berry mix (if I recall correctly). A refreshing lift to the evening. The cocktails sucked. Would I go back? Just to try the Lemon Bars.

No comments: